Two Drops of Ink: The Literary Home for Collaborative Writing
Don’t miss a post: Subscribe to Two Drops of Ink by Email
Guidelines for publication of submissions to the site and to our ‘Book Shelf’ page
We also accept “pitches” for potential publication:
Email your pitch: twodropsofink.com
~Book submission guidelines are further down the page~
Please note: If you are selected for publication, it may be 2-4 weeks before your post goes live. We will notify you by email the morning of publication.
Our email address is now: firstname.lastname@example.org – Send ALL communications to this address.
Two Drops of Ink is a literary blog devoted to literature in a broad sense. We publish short stories, poetry, essays of all types, literary criticism, book reviews, biographical profiles, interviews, memoirs, and letters. We strive to bring thoughtful and unique conversations to our readers about grammar, writing, prose styles, poetry, literary genres, writing advice, and the publishing industry.
Two Drops of Ink proudly collaborates with other writers. Most bloggers are focused on the primary task of branding themselves and pushing their own sites. This is fine; however, here at Two Drops of Ink, we believe in, and have created, an epicenter for collaborative writing which is powerful. Writers and authors can use this site as a springboard for their budding careers, as a credible publication for their resumes, or a place to broaden their audience and brand.
“Collaboration isn’t about giving up our individuality; it’s about realizing our greater potential.” ― Joseph Rain
Two Drops of Ink is accepting submissions for all genres except “R” rated romance or anything politically partisan. Political, philosophical, or ideological discussions are fine – that can make for interesting reading; however, partisan rants don’t fit here.
We are looking for fresh perspectives on all genres and literary topics. Here are some examples:
- The art of writing
- The craft of writing
- How to publish
- How to query a book
- Book reviews
- Writing purposefully for an online audience
- Building an online following
- Flash Fiction
- Creative non-fiction
- Historical Fiction and non-fiction
We understand that how something is said is just as important as what is said.
Each writer has that unique way of turning a phrase and using their authentic voice. We hope to extend the following benefits to you as a writer if your work gets published on our site.
Submitting an article to Two Drops of Ink guarantees:
- Exposure to your writing and your books. We have a vast audience, and we are growing fast!
- You and Two Drops of Ink create a strategic alliance — shared influences on social media including the promotion of your blogs, books, websites, videos, and services.
- Two Drops of Ink is listed among the top 50 writing sites via ThePositiveWriter.com (2017), and as one of top 100 best blogs for writers by The Write Life (2016). This means that you will benefit greatly from our credibility if your work gets published on the site.
Specific Submission Guidelines:
- Word Count
We ask that articles be 500-1000 original words; however, we will work with authors if the article exceeds 1500 words. We will also consider a series.
- Articles Are Original, Unique, or updated
We will not consider writings that have been published elsewhere, including your website. We expect non-plagiarized writing. If you are uncertain about the various forms of plagiarism, click here for a description. We exclude poetry from the ‘published elsewhere’ requirement because of its unique artistic value.
- We love “Value-added” Articles
Make sure your submissions are not only unique regarding perspective but also relevant to the times. Our readers and subscribers are interested in value-added articles that include:
- A “how-to” that clearly defines writing, editing, and other writing topics.
- Frequent writing blunders and solutions
- Overcoming writing difficulties
- Articles may be written as a first person account, or from a professional perspective
- Make sure your articles are Well-Written
Two Drops of Ink expects that articles demonstrate proper grammar, clarity, style, tone, and punctuation. We ask that you edit for the obvious, and then edit again for those pesky mistakes we all make. If your submission is selected, we will do an editorial review. If it does not meet Two Drops of Ink’s standards, but the overall concept is appealing, we may ask that you to ‘revise and resubmit’ your article, which is not a rejection of your submission.
When the article passes our initial examination, or your resubmitted work is better, we will email you with further instructions. Please submit your article in a Word.doc(x) format -no Google Docs, please.
5. Use proper citations when necessary
Give proper attribution when citing statistics, quotes, or references. Provide a genuine citation in the article and hyperlink to the verifiable source. This includes photos and art.
6. Accompanying Bio
All work submitted needs an accompanying bio and high-resolution photo of the author ( or the best photo you have).
We prefer a head shot (Jpeg) image; we would like our readers to see you as well as read you. However, we would ask that it not be a vacation or family shot, etc.
7. Posts can be withdrawn or pulled down
Two Drops of Ink reserves the right to reject any articles that do not meet the criteria mentioned above. We also have the right to pull-down posts which are found to be false, erroneous, or without proper permission (memoir is one example).
8. Publication License Agreement
When submitting, you are agreeing to an “Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International” license with Two Drops of Ink to publish your original articles.
Two Drops of Ink may then, in turn, use extracts, quotes, or portions in a subsequent article to reference back to your original article for further exposure.
A Final Note: If you are published on the site, we ask that you be courteous to our readers and respond to their comments (barring an emergency that you cannot help). We are well known for our interactive, close-knit atmosphere on the site. All comments are important, and to ignore a reader’s comments (not to include trolls, we’ll weed those out) is an act of arrogance that no one appreciates.
In conclusion, for those writers who get published, your bio is added to the “Published Contributors” page for continued exposure and traffic to your links. We also do a “Sunday Spotlight” post every Sunday to reintroduce and promote each of our published contributors. Authors must have contributed at least two or more posts to the site to qualify for this benefit.
Ready to submit? Please follow the guidelines and then forward your word.doc(x) article to email@example.com with Two Drops of Ink Article Submission in the subject line.
Submission Guidelines for the ‘Book Store’ page:
Section two: The Book Store
First: Send us a link to your book. It must be available as an eBook. Send us a review if you have one. We would also like a detailed synopsis of your book. We will use these materials to make a determination about its posting to the site.
- You must be one of these, or all three: owner/author/publisher of the book.
- We will accept all genres of books excluding pornographic or “X” rated material.
- The book will go through a vetting/review process, and you will be notified as to whether or not it will be posted on the site.
- Please include a short summary of your book for readers. It must be 150 words or less. Make it count. This is your time to shine and catch the reader’s attention.
- Include a high-res book cover (300 dpi) and a link to the book, your website, blog, or any pertinent marketing information. etc. This is not a part of your 150-word summary; however, please keep this portion as concise as possible.
- Two Drops of Ink is not responsible for any disparaging comments, poor reviews, or trollish behavior toward your book from exposure to the public on our site. However, we do monitor comments, and we will delete derogatory remarks.
- The guidelines for the ‘Book Store’ may change at any time.
- We reserve the right to remove books from our site at any time for various reasons.
- We will rotate books every few months.
- Email us your questions: Contact Us
- Smile! Submit. Good luck.